E-ticket is a railway ticket booked online. An e-ticket can be booked online by an individual itself on IRCTC website, Check how to complete IRCTC registration to book an e-ticket by your self. Or through a railway ticket booking agent. There are several travel agents in India who are authorized to book tickets. A travel booking agent has an IRCTC agent login through which he can book tickets for the customer. You can find an IRCTC agent near you online
While booking tickets through travel agents one should pay attention to the following:
- Demand a receipt from the e-ticketing IRCTC agent for the payment made for booking ticket.
- Ensure that the Travel Agent has valid Authorisation Certificate issued by respective Principal Agent. List of authorized agents is also available on Home Page of www.irctc.co.in under ‘Agents’ section.
- In order to facilitate the availability of website to Individual users, e-ticketing Travel Agents are barred from booking all types of Rail tickets from IRCTC website www.irctc.co.in between 8:00 hours -12:00 hours. Do not buy tickets from Agents between 8:00 hours-12:00 hours. Such tickets are liable to be canceled.
- Check carefully all the details viz. Stations, Date, Fare, Service Charges, Age, Class etc. printed on the E-Ticket,
- Please insist that your Mobile number is printed on E-ticket. You will receive SMS on your mobile phone regarding details of your bookings including the fare and the service charge.
- Cross-check the actual cost of your E-Ticket with the SMS received from IRCTC.
- If the agent demands more than the prescribed service charge, you can also lodge a complaint at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- On IRCTC website: Rs. 20/- for Sleeper Class, 2S class tickets and Rs. 40/- per ticket for other higher classes. (Service Tax extra) Check eticket service charge details
- Through IRCTC Agent: An additional Rs.20/- for Sleeper Class, 2S class tickets and Rs.40/- per ticket for other higher classes.
- Please note that the Travel Agent Service charge is per PNR and not per passenger.
- There is no IRCTC Agent Service charge for cancellation of ticket.